© Jens Soemer

Oberode

Short facts

  • Hann. Münden

Oberode gained supra-regional importance in the Middle Ages through its pottery trade.

The restored potter's hut of the last Oberode potter and the exhibition of the local history museum in the community centre also bear witness to the cigar factory that operated in Oberode from 1894 to 1931.

Description of the town's coat of arms: "In red above a silver wavy bar in the base of the shield is a golden potter's wheel with a golden pot. In Oberode, commercial pottery has been practised since time immemorial; the nearby Steinberg supplied the clay. The Werra and Weser raftsmen liked to transport the potters' products, which found a good market because of their quality and attractive decoration, on their journeys downriver to the German and Dutch coastal areas."

The occupational structure has undergone great changes in the last 100 years. Only one full-time farmer is still active in a GbR, along with a few part-time farmers. Almost all of the employed commute to jobs outside of town. They benefit from Oberode's central location between the medium-sized centres of Hann. Münden and Witzenhausen and the larger centres of Kassel and Göttingen.

Oberode, which was formerly an independent municipality until 31 December 1972, became a district of the town of Hann. Münden on 1 January 1973 as part of the territorial and administrative reform, which resulted in many advantages for the once financially weak municipality. The infrastructure underwent considerable improvements, which were completed in 2013 with the inclusion in the village renewal programme in 2000 and the associated road improvements as well as the renovation of the village community centre, which was inaugurated in 1976.

Club life is the cement of the village community. The sports, singing, shooting and pottery clubs have found a home in the community centre and hold their regular practice sessions in the club room of the hall or in the shooting room. The active fire brigade members are another mainstay of the village. In addition to their actual tasks of fire protection, the Easter bonfire and an Oktoberfest are an integral part of village life. The Harmonica Friends of Oberode/Ziegenhagen enrich the cultural programme and contribute to Oberode's positive image with their performances, also outside the village. The parish of Oberode, which is linked to Hedemünden, has a new centre in the Trinitatis Chapel, which was inaugurated in 1964. Regular church services and meetings such as the "Café Trinitatis" take place there.

Oberode currently has about 655 inhabitants and is a really liveable and lovable place.

On the map

Oberode
Untere Dorfstraße
34346 Hann. Münden - Oberode
Deutschland

Phone: +49 5541 / 75313
Fax: +49 5541 / 75404
E-mail:
Website: hann.muenden-erlebnisregion.de/en

Contact person

Hann. Münden Marketing GmbH
Lotzestraße 2
34346 Hann. Münden

Phone: +49 5541 / 75313
Fax: +49 5541 / 75404
E-mail:
Website: hann.muenden-erlebnisregion.de/en

General information

Next steps

It appears that you are using Microsoft Internet Explorer as your web browser to access our site.

For practical and security reasons, we recommend that you use a current web browser such as Firefox, Chrome, Safari, Opera, or Edge. Internet Explorer does not always display the complete content of our website and does not offer all the necessary functions.