Doctor Eisenbart's story
Johann Andreas Eisenbart was born on 27 March 1663 in Oberviechtach as the son of the oculist (ophthalmologist), hernia and lapidary (wound doctor) Matthias Eisenbart. He studied for ten years with his brother-in-law Alexander Biller in Bamberg, also an oculist, hernia and stone cutter. He set up his own business in Altenburg/Thuringia. His family lived here from 1685 to 1703. In 1703 Eisenbart bought the property "Zum güldenen Apfel" in Magdeburg, one of the most stately houses in this city.
Eisenbart travelled from market to market throughout the German-speaking area. He is known to have been active in 83 places: Between Aurich and Innsbruck, between Koblenz and Danzig, in Berlin, in Frankfurt/Main and Leipzig, in Stettin, Weimar, Erfurt, Bremen and Braunschweig. He had received privileges from ten German princes for their principalities. He mainly treated eye diseases (cataract operations), hernias and testicular hernias, bladder stones, cleft lip and palate and cancer.
Eisenbart invented a needle for piercing cataracts and a hook for operating on polyps. He made all kinds of medicines, but also hernia bands, artificial teeth and artificial eyes. His first wife, Elisabeth, with whom he had seven children, assisted him with female diseases.
On 1 September 1727, he made his will in Göttingen, in the inn "Zum schwarzen Bären". He suffered from foot gout and the consequences of a stroke. He died in Hann. Münden on 11 November 1727. However, he had probably been here earlier. The house where he died, the former inn "Zum Wilden Mann", is located at Lange Straße 79. The landlord was the master baker and innkeeper Berthold Schepeler.
Doctor Eisenbart was buried in a crypt in the choir room, in the middle of the altar in St. Aegidienkirche, on whose north side his baroque gravestone has been erected in memory since 1837.