The Tillyschanze is a popular viewpoint with an idyllically located forest restaurant.
The Tillyschanze with its 25-metre-high observation tower is a popular destination for visitors and locals alike. It is located on the edge of the Reinhard Forest and can be reached on foot from the historic old town in 30 minutes.
Once at the top, visitors are rewarded with a magnificent view of the old town and the three rivers. The observation tower was built between 1881 and 1885. The name goes back to the siege and storming of the town of Münden in the 30 Years' War and refers to Johann T'Serclaes von Tilly.
Tower relief by Gustav Eberlein
In the upper tower room is the tower relief by the sculptor Gustav Eberlein (1847-1926), which shows the defence of the town during the attack by the commander Tilly.
The entire work was transported from the Berlin studio to Münden in several individual parts, which weighed 19 hundredweights with the packaging when wet. The coloured relief was presented to the public on the first day of Whitsun in 1888.