The Ferry Gate Tower is located on the outer edge of the old town of Hann. Münden.
The Ferry Gate, after which the tower is named, was first mentioned in a document in 1383. It was once part of the medieval city fortifications.
In 1848, the owner of the Haendler & Natermann company bought the tower to produce a lead shot. In the course of this, the tower was extended from its original height of 26 metres to 40 metres.
In the tower casting process, lead was melted and poured through a sieve. In the process, the lead drops fell into the well like hailstones, which is why the tower is still called the Hagel Tower today. Hail shot was produced here until the 1980s.