Adelebsen lies on the northern edge of the Münden Nature Park between the Bramwald and Solling.
The main town of Adelebsen is dominated by a massive keep worth seeing and a castle which is still inhabited today. A panoramic hiking trail connects Adelebsen with Hann. Münden via the Niemetal valley. The landscape can be explored on numerous hiking and cycling trails around the villages. Visitors are cordially invited, as Adelebsen's motto is: "Varied is the landscape, versatile in nature. The best prerequisites for pure relaxation".
The Lords of Wichbike moved to Adelebsen in 1234 and built the castle, the oldest parts of which are still standing. The 38.75 m high keep, which towers over the main castle from afar and is pentagonal and hexagonal in the upper part, dates from the 13th century and is one of the most powerful residential and defensive towers of this period. In the 16th century, a large Renaissance wing was built, of which only a stair tower remains today. In 1640, a gentleman of Adelebsen, who was chancellor in Kassel, built a pleasure palace on a terrace in front of the castle, which was extended in 1890.
Today, the visitor is presented with an ensemble of different eras, surrounded by garden terraces on former defence installations. In 1947, the last lord of Adelebsen established a foundation to preserve the historic grounds.
Jewish Cemetery at Adelebsen
The village of Adelebsen - situated on the edge of the Solling in southern Lower Saxony - can look back on a history of Jewish life spanning more than 300 years. In the 19th century, it was even called "Little Jerusalem" because of the high proportion of Jewish inhabitants. Today, only a few traces remain in the village. Only the cemetery has visibly "survived", as have most of the graveyards of the destroyed Jewish communities in Germany (230 in Lower Saxony alone). The aim of this documentation, a piece of unfinished and necessary mourning work, is to make this "house of life", as it is called according to Jewish custom, accessible as a historical source and as a place of remembrance.
The documentation "Im Steilhang. The Jewish Cemetery at Adelebsen. Remembrance of a destroyed community" by Berndt Schaller and Eike Dietert, was commissioned by the Flecken Adelebsen on the occasion of the renovation work on the Jewish cemetery, which was completed in autumn 2004.
Adelebsen Stone Workers' Museum
The Adelebsen Stone Workers' Museum was opened in May 1994 in the municipality's own restored old school on Kirchweg. It is run by the "Museumsverein für Steinarbeit und ländliches Alltagsleben e. V." (Museum Society for Stone Work and Rural Everyday Life) on a voluntary basis.
The museum focuses on the everyday life of the stone workers in the Adelebsen area, because the basalt quarries on the Bramburg, the Grefenburg and the Backenberg were an important economic factor in this region for decades. At times, more than 1000 workers mined and processed basalt there under the most difficult conditions. Their history is the basis for a museum of social history that is also of supra-regional importance. The everyday life of the stone workers, a clipper's shack, a village kitchen and the working and living environment of the stone workers' wives are on display.
April to October every Sunday from 15.00 to 17.30. The museum is also open during the summer holidays. Group visits all year round by appointment.
Adelebsen Stone Workers' Museum, 1st chairman Werner Lindemann, Kirchweg 8, 37139 Adelebsen, telephone: 05506 7801
Nature trail Adelebsen
The Adelebsen nature trail, which was opened in 2014 and is laid out as a circular route, is ideal for a family walk. Native trees, bushes and plants are explained here on numerous display boards. You can reach the entrance to the trail via the street "Zum Breiten Busch".
E-carts Rennstall - Carrera Club in Adelebsen
The E-carts racing stable offers guaranteed driving fun on a scale of 1/32 for young and old. On three perfectly prepared racing tracks, 100 metres in total, you can push your own high-performance cars or those hired from the racing stable to their physical limits.
Groups of 6 or more can rent the E-carts racing stable. Ideal for children's birthday parties, family celebrations, company parties or youth group excursions.
Studio Wasserscheune in Adelebsen
Beate Birkit-Quentin and Günther Quentin received two awards at the national level: Their Studio Wasserscheune in Adelebsen-Erbsen was awarded two winner plaques by the Bund Heimat und Umwelt (BHU) - in the categories "Saving energy in historical buildings" and "New life under old roofs".
The Studio Wasserscheune is a cultural centre "in the village" where exhibitions, concerts, seminars and workshops take place regularly. The building is a 200-year-old barn that has always been popularly called the "Wasserscheune". In 1988, the Quentin couple rebuilt the barn in its original form and opened it to the public in 2000 as the "Studio Wasserscheune".
The converted barn was awarded a prize above all for its innovative energy system. First of all, this requires optimal thermal insulation of the historic building. The rooms of the water barn are heated via a ventilation system with heat recovery. The result: a pleasant indoor climate and comfortable warmth. The energy system is supplemented by a solar system on the roof, which mathematically provides the electricity for the building, making it self-sufficient.
The exhibitions are open on Sundays from 15.00 to 18.00.
Studio Wasserscheune in Adelebsen, Alte Dorfstraße 4, 37139 Adelebsen
Telephone: 05506 9555-99, e-mail: email@example.com, Internet: www.quentin.de